What Too Many Managers and Employees Fear and 3 Steps to Deal with It
This all started with a lunch conversation with my darling daughter Caitlin.
She Manages a retail fashion store. It just happens to be the top performing store in the country.
She told me about a problem she was having.
I’ve heard this problem many times in many other organisations over the years.
Here is what I recommended she do.
RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR A SORT IT OUT MEETING
- Why are we here? To Sort out the issue – have the team perform at it’s optimum level without interference
- Most people act and speak with good intention – ie: they don’t come to work to stuff up or create hassle, underachieve or conflict just for the fun of it
- The point of view is true for the speaker at that point in time
- When a person is speaking – don’t interrupt or defend – let them finish.
- If you’re serious about understanding another person’s point of view you’ll empathise, reflect, validate..
- ‘So what you’re saying to me is..’ RESTATE
- ‘If I looked at it that way I’d feel the same way…’ EMPATHISE
- ‘When you look at it that way it does make sense to me’ VALIDATE
- ‘From my point of view what I see is…… and how I feel about it is…… what I’d prefer to see is…’ YOUR VIEW/ ANSWER..
IF YOU WANT TO CREATE CONFLICT AND DISHARMONY forget all the above and just ….
- Interrupt the other person when they are expressing their point of view
- Tell them straight up they are wrong… deficient.. defective… or just outright don’t have the right to have a different viewpoint to you..
THIS MEETING IS NOT ABOUT THE FACILITATOR – it’s about how much you guys are willing to listen to each other and adapt, adjust and make changes to YOUR behaviour and systems..
What new behaviours, new procedures, new ways of doing things, communicating, making decisions, getting things done need to change around here?
How do we want this meeting to end?
BUSINESS OWNERS, ENTREPRENEURS, CEO’S, GM’S AND SALES MANAGERS –
FREE BUSINESS BREAKTHROUGH DIAGNOSIS AND COACHING OFFER (valued at $997)
- Sit quietly and your computer for 10 minutes..
- Answer the questions honestly
- Hit Submit