Bob Dylan and a Billionaire Reveal How to Surf the Winds of Change..
Talk about the winds of change blowin..
For those of you old enough to remember, Bob Dylan sang about those winds of change a long time ago..
and they keep blowing today..
Take a look at just the front page of today’s Financial Review (22nd May 2015)
- The Government say NO to Twiggy Forrest lobbying for an enquiry into Iron Ore Prices. Why? Because China have just done a deal with Brazil to dump even more cheap iron ore on the worlds market. So much cheap iron ore that will out produce BHP, Rio and FMG combined… How is that going to impact life in Australia?? That’s either a hot or cold wind.. Either way… Ouch!!
- China has an IT company, Xiaomi, producing Smartphones that has taken it from startup in 2010 to be now valued at $46 Billion and its nipping at the heals of Samsung and Apple.
- Sales at China online site Alibaba have surged 41% in the first quarter from a year ago and Wang Xing’s online deals company Meituan raised $885.40 million earlier this year for a total valuation of $7 billion. There are Winds of Change Blowin’ there..
- In the meantime Woolworths hardware chain Masters lost $66 million in the March quarter taking the forecast losses to more than $200 million which is requiring a cash injection form co-owners Woolworths and Lowes… That’s a cold wind that one..
- At the top of the page is an article saying ‘banks are finally putting the brakes on lending to housing investors, implementing tougher policies that experts expect to remove some of the heat from the booming housing market..’ Winds to Cool the Market.. How will that impact you?
Those winds keep on blowing..
Yet in those winds, people are making money..
Opportunists and entrepreneurs see advantage and openings in the Winds of Change while others see gloom and doom and coldness..
It really is a choice.
Which glasses do you want to look at all this through?
LEARNING FROM A BILLIONAIRE
I was reading a great article on entrepreneurs the other day and these two quotes jumped out at me from 91 year old Len Ainsworth, founder of Aristocrat Leisure and Ainsworth Game Technology.
He has an estimated worth of $1.82 Billion so he’s worth listening to.
BILLIONAIRE QUOTE NUMBER ONE:
‘If something strikes a chord with you and you go with it, then if you work hard enough and long enough you’ve got to succeed..’
BILLIONAIRE QUOTE NUMBER TWO:
‘Sometimes opportunities come your way but I would say they probably go over the head of 99 people out of 100.
It is the person that sees the opportunity and grasps it…’
CYNIC OR GOER?
The cynics and nay sayers will pull those quotes apart, find exceptions, find fault with them, tell you that’s all Polly-Anna stuff.
The goers will see the gold in them and get fired up.
You decide where you sit..
I personally get fired up by them..
See the opportunities in the winds of change.
Have a good weekend.
Some thoughts to leave you with….
‘Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There’s a battle outside
And it is ragin’.
It’ll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls
For the times they are a-changin’.
Bob Dylan – The Times They are a Changing.
‘May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
When the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
And may your song always be sung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.’
Bob Dylan – Forever Young
PS: On another more humorous matter. If you want to see a funny interview I did the other week as my alter ego hoax character Professor Mark Moorehouse – go to www.facebook.com/markmoorehouse or click here