Planning for Success in 2012 – No Matter what happens in the World..
Happy New Year..
I started the day watching and inspiring clip of U2 singing ‘New Years Day’ on a video someone had posted on my Facebook Wall..
Then I’ve spent the last hour watching the 20, 212 photos my darling wife took of our trip to Bali.
(OK, so I’m being facetious. It wasn’t 20,212, but it was about 200…)
She was showing her Mum the 3,000 shots taken of the cute monkeys in the Monkey Park at Ubud..
We certainly had a great trip up there to Bali..
(Landing at 4.20 the other morning and driving back home through the City and around the river made us even more grateful for the cleanliness, the beauty and the uncrowded lifestyle we have here in Australia compared to the hustle, bustle and crowded traffic of Legion Road up there in Bali…
I will do another blog on the lessons, the joys and the insights I got mixing with and talking to the beautiful Balinese people.. I am posting a video blog to the site so you can check it out if you’re interested. )
BUT NOW.. BACK TO 2012 AND THE YEAR AHEAD
As I wrote 2012 at the top of the page for the first time I thought..
‘Wow.. another year about to start off…
What exciting, thrilling, surprising (and probably tragic) things will happen this year??’
There will be global events… There will be local events..
There will be things we can’t control..
And, most importantly, there will be things we can control..
An old mentor and coach once said to me, ‘Leigh, the key is to FOCUS ON THOSE THINGS YOU CAN CONTROL..’
Based on his sage advice I know I won’t be able to control the Global Financial Crisis or the Euro Crisis… (there will be plenty of adult chatter in bars, restaurants, water foundations and staff rooms about this.. but.. shock, horror… It’s all IRRELEVENT CHATTER..)
THE 10 THINGS TO CONTROL IN 2012
My old mentor told me what you and I can control are (almost in order of importance)
- Our thoughts and reactions to this chatter….
- Our thoughts in relation to optimism or pessimism
- Where we put our energy and time
- How we turn negatives into positives
- How we attack
- How we defend
- How we add value and highlight our points of difference
- How we love and spend time with our loved ones
- How we look after our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health
- How we invest our money and save on our taxes…..
There are probably other things we can control too.. but this is not a bad list to start with..
If you’re a Financial Planner or Investment Strategist you’d probably put Number 10 higher up the list..
The key is to TAKE CONTROL of and in fact BE PROACTIVE
PROACTIVE CONTROL GUIDELINES FOR 2012
Notes to self based on mentors advice…
- Choose to not take part in prolonged chatter about Global doom and destruction – ‘thank you but no thank you’ and walk away
- Start each day and during the day affirm the positives, the things you are grateful for, the joys and blessings in your life, the positive goals and dreams you have written down
- See your vision board and goal list – refer to at the start, during and at the end of each day
- Work out the 20% of things that deliver you 80% of the benefits (financial, health, relationships and other benefits) then programme those things into your diary and make them happen as a priority event (programme them into your iphone, calendar, IPad diary…)
- Marketing, marketing, marketing – direct mail, electronic, face to face… become a champion at Marketing and Business Development this year – even better than last year
- Script, practice and regularly assess how you and your team are telling your companies story, your points of difference and how you add value way better than any of the alternatives in the marketplace
- Educate yourself on how to legally minimise your tax and maximise your investments. (This year I will be working with a super successful Investment Coach who has a fantastic, proven system for making very sound investment decisions in the WA marketplace. Stay tuned. If you want to know more hit reply and write ‘Investment’ in the Subject Line and I’ll put you on the list and keep you informed..)
As part of the simplification of my web site project last week my web guru Charles has said I should set up a page that builds a community around one of the key things that I stand for in my business.
Lately I have been articulating to groups the fact that I think I should start a Society for the Prevention of Dumb, Cruel and Unproductive Behaviour Toward Innocent Sales People
It’s acronym would be a long one… S.P.D.C.U.B.T.I.S.P... so maybe we should shorten it.
But the intention would still be the same – for people to share stories of great management that have liberated, empowered, lifted, coached, motivated, supported sales people – the front line of all Australian (read Global) business.
The Society would also highlight poor, bad, dumb, unhelpful sales management practice so that enlightened Sales Managers can learn what not to do.
Of course, we would not be able to defame or ‘name and shame’ as that might open me personally up to legal threat, but we can use the community to share lessons and learn from each other.
So Charles and I have set up the community on Facebook at Sales Society.
I gather if you go to Facebook and search for ‘Sales Society’ you will find it.
If you like the idea, please ‘like’ it (whatever that means)
I think you can also download a copy of my ‘Fortune Cookie’ report too..
Check it out. I’d appreciate your feedback and input.
In today’s economy (and yesterday’s economy too) sales people are at the front line.
They are the ones making the calls,
going out to the appointments, facing rejection, dejection and sometimes even humiliation.
They are the ones responsible for that all important ‘Revenue’ line in the budget.
When the Board and Shareholders say ‘Get Revenue up…’ the sales teams are the ones to think harder, work smarter, work longer, be more innovative, talk to more people, get more rejection, bounce back more.. and DELIVER…
One of my clients this week was over the moon that his team had hit their half yearly targets.
And in this market, that is a great effort.
The Sales Manager I coached in that team is also over the moon. He has transformed from brow beaten, weather beaten, market beaten and self beaten to positive, optimistic, happy, proud, motivated and (dare I say it) enlightened..
How are you helping your front line this year?
The best trained, equipped and led soldiers are usually the ones to do the best in battle.
If you agree with these sentiments I invite you to join in the Mission.
As I say on the Sales Society Facebook page
“This is a page to post success stories for HOW TO GET THE VERY BEST OUT OF SALES TEAMS AND SALES PEOPLE..
Share BAD stories.. What not to do (but please don’t defame or use actual names of companies or people otherwise we’ll have to remove the post…)
Share GOOD stories.. Success stories… What my boss did that was terrific… What our company did that was wonderful… As long as its not commercial in confidence feel free to share the companies name… As I’m sure they would want to be an Employer of Choice for Sales Champions and Top Sales Performers..
Help your company be a Success Magnet – Attracting Successful People to Make you and your company even more successful.
Post away.. share you stories.. we can all learn from each other..”
PS: If you can’t find the page on Facebook, there is a link on the right hand side of my upgraded web site at www.leighfarnell.com
The next Sales Management Masterclass is on March 10th in Perth.
We’ll delve into these topics discussed today and way more..
Check out the testimonials on the blog to find out more about the very profitable ripples you can create in your business.
Have a winning first week of 2012.